All About Fiber
Owned and operated by the City, Velocity Broadband is the fastest and most reliable Internet in Hudson. No other service can compare. Some internet providers claim they have a “fiber-backed network” but this is not the same thing as an all-fiber network. Their networks may begin with fiber, but the lines ultimately switch to DSL or Copper and Coax Cable down the line, long before it reaches your door. The switch to DSL/Copper results in far slower speeds and poor experiences. Think buffering or frozen screens or extremely slow downloads and uploads. With Velocity Broadband's All-Fiber Network, we bring fiber right to your door. You will experience speeds you can’t imagine at your business or home. We promise you are going to be amazed!
- Bits - the basic unit of information in computing. Network speeds are measured in bits per second.
- 1 Kilobit (Kbps) = 1,000 bits transferred per second (bps). Dial-up connections are 56 bits.
- 1 Megabit (Mbps) = 1,000,000 bps.
- 1 Gigabit (Gbps) = 1,000,000 bps. about 10 seconds to download an HD movie.
- Bytes - the base unit for file size and used in computing monthly caps.
- Basic Broadband - FCC definition is 25 Mbps downstream; 4 Mbps upstream.
- Download - the speed at which your computer sends data.
- Upload - the speed at which your computer sends data.
- Symmetric Connections - have comparable upload and download speeds. DSL and cable often have upload speeds 5 - 10 times slower than downloads. Businesses increasingly need symmetric connections to maximize productivity.
Fiber-Optic vs. Traditional Networks
|Fiber-Optic Network||Cable & DSL Networks|
|The Gold Standard in the industry. The fastest Internet speeds available today.||DSL uses old copper telephone lines to deliver Internet access.|
|Laser shoots pulses of light across thin strands of glass.||DSL/Cable technology is unreliable. Interrupted service means lost revenue.|
|Fiber-optic networks are reliable, resilient and use technology that allows for nearly unlimited expansion. As your business grows, so can your Internet network.||Cable uses a cable network with upload speeds varying from 1 - 3 Mbps. Some offer 100 Mbps down and only 10 Mbps up. Networks are shared, meaning you might not get the advertised speeds during peak times.|
|Fiber lasts for decades, and your operating costs are lower than cable or DSL.||Wireless Internet access is a complement to a wired network, not a substitute.|
How Do I Sign Up for Velocity Broadband?
Working with Velocity Broadband has meant that our agency can be more productive. We have fewer interruptions in service and less downtime resulting in many operational improvements and efficiencies that I couldn’t get anywhere else. And working with the Velocity Broadband team has been wonderful. The installation team was smart, friendly and got right down to business. Everyone is very helpful when we need them and I believe the city is running Velocity Broadband the way a company should be run.President of The Murphy Agency John Murphy